It can be pretty frustrating to find the best oil based primers. Now when the market offers you a variety of products, it might be difficult to find something that suits your needs. This is why we created a useful buying guide for oil based primers. We hope that it will help you to find the right product that you have been looking for.
Our 10 Recommendations for the Best Oil Based Primers:
|1|| || Zinsser 03504 Cover Stain Interior/Exterior Oil Primer Sealer, 1-Quart, White || Check Price|
|2|| || Odorless Primer/Sealer, Oil Based, Qt. || Check Price|
|3|| || Zinsser 3608 Cover Stain Oil Base Primer Spray, 13 oz, White || Check Price|
|4|| || Zinsser by Rust-Oleum 3609 Oil-Base Spray Primer, White, 16 oz, (Pack of 1) || Check Price|
|5|| || Rust-Oleum 3554 Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain Primer and Sealer, White 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 1) || Check Price|
|6|| || Diamond Brite Paint 1 Gallon Industrial Oil Base Enamel Primer in Gray 32900-1 || Check Price|
|7|| || KILZ Adhesion Primer, Interior/Exterior, 1 Quart || Check Price|
|8|| || Clear Bonding Primer - Chalk Style Furniture Paint Surface Prep Clear Primer Base Coat - Adhesive... || Check Price|
|9|| || KILZ Original Low Odor Primer, Interior, 1 Quart || Check Price|
|10|| || Quart Kilz Original Interior Oil Based Sealer-Primer-Stainblocker [Set of 6] || Check Price|
The 10 Best Oil Based Primers Reviews:
SaleBestseller No. 3 Zinsser 3608 Cover Stain Oil Base Primer Spray, 13 oz, White
- Get ultimate hiding power indoors and out with Zinsser Cover Stain Primer
- Spray primer seals, blocks stains and gives great adhesion
- Requires no sanding, hides dark colors and prevents tannin bleed
- High-hiding formula blocks most stains and helps seal water, smoke and nicotine stains
- Sticks to interior and exterior surfaces and sands easily
Bestseller No. 4 Zinsser by Rust-Oleum 3609 Oil-Base Spray Primer, White, 16 oz, (Pack of 1)
- Price for: each surface: wood, metal, masonry, drywall, or tile surface item: spray primer Color: white exposure conditions: mild to moderate Color family: whites net weight: 16 oz. Base Type: Oil application
- Temperature: 40 to 90 degrees F dry time recoat: 1 hr
- Country of origin (subject to change): United States
- Interior and exterior
Bestseller No. 5 Rust-Oleum 3554 Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain Primer and Sealer, White 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
- Exterior/Interior use previously painted drywall, cured plaster, wood, metal, concrete and more
- High-hiding oil-based primer hides dark colors, penetrates and seals exterior wood and blocks tannin bleed
- Dries to touch in 35 minutes and covers up to 100 sq ft
- Excellent stain blocker permanently blocks and seals tough stains from fire, smoke and water damage
- Fast-drying, flat white finish can be recoated in 2 hours
Bestseller No. 6 Diamond Brite Paint 1 Gallon Industrial Oil Base Enamel Primer in Gray 32900-1
- Made in America in Columbus, Ohio
- Excellent for use on wood, concrete, plaster, masonry, hardboard, and metal
- Provides a tough, durable surface
- Resists scuffs,fading, cracking and peeling
- Can be brushed, rolled or sprayed
Bestseller No. 7 KILZ Adhesion Primer, Interior/Exterior, 1 Quart
- A good bonding primer is essential to ensure that topcoats adhere to tough-to-paint surfaces. High adhesion primer increases painting possibilities by bonding to a wide range of surfaces. Use on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. Mix well before using. Apply with brush, roller, or spray.
- KILZ Adhesion is a unique latex primer developed to bond securely on slick surfaces where a traditional water or oil-base primer will not adhere.
- Bonds to tough-to-paint surfaces including Kynar, PVC, Formica, vinyl, glass, tile, glazed brick, chalky paints, glossy finishes, fiberglass and metals. Topcoat with either latex or oil-based paint.
- Use on most interior and exterior surfaces where a secure bond is critical. This problem solving primer can be used under epoxies, lacquers, and products containing Xylene or other solvents. KILZ Adhesion dries to touch within 30 minutes and ready to recoat in an hour.
- This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior/Exterior water-based Primer in white. Covers approximately 300 square feet per gallon. KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years. KILZ was named Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.
Bestseller No. 8 Clear Bonding Primer - Chalk Style Furniture Paint Surface Prep Clear Primer Base Coat - Adhesive Furniture & Decor Primer for Laminate, Glass, Metal, Oil-Based Paint or Stain - (4 oz)
- Easy to Use: Even for beginners, this primer is easy to use! Just brush it on and let it dry.
- Eco-Friendly: Ultra low VOC and water-based - contains NO harsh chemical additives such as phthalates, formaldehyde, heavy metals, or solvents.
- Dries Clear: This is a bonus especially if you’re painting a piece of furniture that you would like to later distress. The clear finish means you’ll see the original wood tone underneath when distressing instead of white or grey primer.
- Great Adhesion: Bonding agents in the primer help to create a more porous surface so that paint can adhere to any smooth surface.
- No Harsh Smell: Due to the lack of harsh smells, there is almost no odor, allowing you to paint indoors without worrying about your health.
Bestseller No. 9 KILZ Original Low Odor Primer, Interior, 1 Quart
- This ultra low odor primer, sealer and stainblocker has no lingering odors that occur with oil-based paints, making it ideal to use in areas where higher odor levels are prohibitive.
- Any slight odor detected during the application will dissipate soon after drying. This formula blocks water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, marker and grease stains while sealing pet and smoke odors.
- Use on properly prepared interior surfaces, such as brick, painted metal, properly prepared glossy surfaces, drywall, paneling, wallpaper, masonry, plaster and wood. Use on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. Mix well before using. Apply with brush, roller, or spray.
- KILZ Odorless creates an excellent base coat for latex or oil-based paint. It is not recommended on flooring. KILZ Odorless dries to touch within 30 minutes and dries to recoat in an hour.
- This is a 1-quart can of KILZ Odorless Oil-Base Primer/Sealer for interior spaces such as offices, apartments, and schools. Covers approximately 300 square feet per gallon. KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years. KILZ was named Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.
Last update on 2023-03-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Should You Look For in the Best oil based primers?
We have done our review of the best oil based primers by analyzing top products available on the market. But it is also necessary for you to do your own research, so you know what aspects are important to you. First of all, you should ask yourself these questions:
- Is it worth to buy oil based primers?
- What are the benefits that you need for oil based primers?
- Your maximum budget for oil based primers?
- Do you have a specific need for brand or quality?
When you know what you are looking for exactly it can make the process a lot easier. You can write down all the aspects that are important for you when it comes to searching for oil based primers. It will make the process of searching a lot quicker and more sufficient. Note that there is no need to hurry or push yourself when you look for oil based primers. If you want to have the best oil based primers for your need, take your time and enjoy the process.
In order to find the best oil based primers, thoroughly look for these aspects:
- Brand: Before buying the product, search for information about its brand. This way you will know about the quality and durability of the product. Some brands give a longer warranty and this can be a great thing to consider.
- Features: What makes the product different from the others? What are the main features that make it stand out? One of the most common ways is a unique design. Other methods of differentiation include a unique feature, a lower price, a higher quality, a broader selection, or a better reputation.
- Specifications: Before buying consider what are the most important specifications of oil based primers for you. When look for that information in the manufacturers or sellers pages if you are looking for the product online.
- Product Value: Consider price and value. Product might be expensive, but it might also be worth the price. It all depends on what you're buying.
- Customer Reviews: Look for real people ratings and reviews of the oil based primers, this way you will know every detail that the manufacturer hid from the customer.
- Quality: If product quality is the main thing for you, make sure to check on that. Online videos of product unboxing might help.
- Durability: It refers to the ability of a product to last. Durability can be measured by the time it takes for a product to break down, the number of cycles it can endure, how well it resists corrosion, or how long its useful life is.
- Color & Size: A product's success is heavily dependent on how well it stands out among the competition. Customers are willing to spend more money on products that stand out and make an impact. Size affects the amount that can be stored, the total weight, and the comfort level of the user.
- Environmental Impact: Be sure that design of the product has been carefully crafted to minimize its negative impact on our environment. All of the materials used have been sourced responsibly and have a low carbon footprint.
We use this buying guide in the majority of our product reviews, we update the information and correct the lists of best products, this way you can find the lists of great products quickly and make a wise decision.
Frequently Asked questions
How much the oil based primers can cost and what is the correct price range?
The price of the oil based primers has to reflect the cost of manufacturing, research and development, advertising campaigns, retail space costs and so on.
Do I need technical knowledge to use the oil based primers?
Typically not. The more technical the product, the more time it will take you to learn how to use it. But for most products that are on the market today, a little bit of guidance will get you up and running in a few minutes.
What are the most important things to look for in order to make sure you don't regret your purchase?
Purchasing the oil based primers is never as easy as it seems. There are a lot of things to consider before you make the final decision. Check our buyer’s guide for some of the most important things to look for, so you can avoid future regret.
If you find that some of the information presented in the article is incorrect, misleading, or wrong, please, let us know.